Vancouver-Point Grey Constituency Office
EXTERNAL EMPLOYMENT POSTING
DATE: September 8, 2017
POSITION: Constituency Assistant (full time)
LOCATION: Vancouver-Point Grey Community Office 2909 W. Broadway
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours/week
CLOSING: Applications will be accepted until 4:30pm on Friday September 15, 2017
Applications should be addressed to David Eby, MLA and must include a resume, cover letter and two references with contact information.
- only those applicants short-listed will be contacted;
- email applications and cover letters in care of: email@example.com with “Vancouver-Point Grey CA Application” in the subject line;
- please ensure any attachments are labelled with your name.
JOB DESCRIPTION: CONSTITUENCY ASSISTANT
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office(s) of a Member of the Legislative Assembly. Under the general supervision of the MLA, the duties may include:
- Assistance and Advocacy for Constituents
- Constituency Assistants will be responsible for developing and maintaining a working relationship with Ministry Offices and administrative bodies in order to provide constituents with information and assistance in resolving questions and problems. Where necessary this may include areas of federal jurisdiction.
- Constituency Assistants will have a comprehensive knowledge of provincial government legislation, programs and services, and community resources to whom constituents can be referred to for further assistance.
- Casework may include assessing constituents’ situations and providing advocacy and advice as deemed necessary
- Community Outreach and Liaison
- Constituency Assistants may be required to monitor local government and community activities to keep the Member informed on local issues. She/he may be requested to represent or accompany the MLA at public and community functions.
- The Constituency Assistant shall advise and assist the MLA in enhancing his/her role and presence in the constituency.
- Information and Public Relations
- The Constituency Assistant may be required to provide constituents and community bodies with information and clarification of government legislation and policies. NDP positions as outlined in caucus speeches, press releases, Bills and Resolutions, may be made available upon request.
- Constituency Assistants may also facilitate their Members access to local press through monitoring and advising the MLA about local issues
- Constituency Assistants may be responsible for the preparation of communications materials, including advertising, householders, mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Administration and Organizational Tasks
- Constituency Assistants are responsible for the management of the Constituency Office(s) under the general supervision of the MLA.
- Tasks may include correspondence, bookkeeping, computer record management and other office duties, as required.
- Constituency Assistants may have responsibility for volunteer recruitment and training as well as project organization. She/he may be requested by the MLA to participate in supervision and evaluation of students working in practicum programs based in Constituency Office(s).
- Constituency Assistants may be responsible for other duties as assigned by the MLA.
- Constituency Assistants will have a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three (3) levels of government. Knowledge of the communities in the constituency is an asset.
- Constituency Assistants will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. She/he will be able to work independently and with flexibility.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgment is an integral part of this position.
- Constituency Assistants must have the ability to administer the various aspects of a community office. Specific skills in correspondence, word processing, bookkeeping and clerical functions may be required.
Salary and benefits as per the BCGEU (Constituency Assistants) Collective Agreement.