Want to volunteer in our community office?
We welcome great volunteers. Volunteers, from high school age on up, help us to table at community events, work with us on outreach to the community, and assist in the community office. Please email email@example.com or call our office to give us your availability, skills, languages, and contact information. We look forward to working with you!
Want to give back to your neighborhood?
There are plenty of volunteer opportunities in Kitsilano, Point Grey and UBC Areas and one of our office volunteers has compiled this quick list! If you’re interested in learning more about volunteering with the following organizations, please visit the sites below.
Environment and Sustainability
- SPEC – The Society Promoting Environmental Conservation works on urban farming issues and help to construct gardens in local schools. SPEC volunteers work on outreach campaigns, research and building upkeep and other ideas as they come along. Visit http://spec.bc.ca/become-a-volunteer
- Pacific Spirit Park Society – PSPS is dedicated to preserving the native plans in Pacific Spirit Park. The group grows native plants in the park and remove invasive species like English Ivy and Holly as these species disrupt habitat and local flora, fauna and wildlife. Visit http://pacificspiritparksociety.org/volunteering/
- Surfrider Foundation – A non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the world’s waves and beaches through conservation, activism, research and education. They frequently host shoreline clean ups too. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org Visit http://vancouverbc.surfrider.org/volunteering
- Beaty Biodiversity Museum – Enhancing people’s understanding and appreciation of biodiversity through research and exhibitions. Email email@example.com and visit http://beatymuseum.ubc.ca/volunteer
- Jericho Stewardship Group – Work together with parks board staff to restore and enhance natural habitat at Jericho Park in the City of Vancouver. Among their activities: wildlife inventory and monitoring, invasive plant management, native species planting and more.
- UBC Farm – Volunteers are welcome at the farm. Growing organic produce, planting, weeding and harvesting fruits are all volunteer activities here. You can also work in the indigenous garden planted by the local Musqueam Band, assist on a school tour, or help out at the market. Visit http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/community/volunteer-program/
- UBC Farm Intergenerational Landed Learning Project – Farm Friend volunteers work in intergenerational teams of one elder, one younger adult, and 3-5 elementary school children to sow, tend, harvest, prepare, and eat healthy food plants at the UBC Farm. Weekly and on-call volunteers sought. Contact 604-822-4842; or visit http://landedlearning.edcp.educ.ubc.ca/
Arts and Culture
- Museum of Anthropology – MOA offers a comprehensive volunteer program with an emphasis on thorough training of its volunteers. Contact 604-822-5087; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit http://moa.ubc.ca/engage/volunteer.php
Sport and Recreation
- BC Golf House Society – From library projects to research, to helping out at consumer golf shows, hickory golf events and the Tradition Golf Classics, volunteers are needed in a variety of areas. Contact 604-222-4653; or email email@example.com.
- Point Grey Fiesta event this June 23, 2018. We will be looking for volunteers who can help with set-up, marshaling during the parade, directing visitors and other potential positions. Feel free to let your volunteers know about this opportunity by directing them to the volunteer sign-up page on the Fiesta website here: https://www.pointgreyfiesta.org/volunteers.
- Kitsilano Neighbourhood House – With tonnes of events for kids, youth, adults and seniors, and programs ranging from art drop-ins to monthly potlucks to senior peer support, Kits House is a great way to get to know the community. Check out http://www.kitshouse.org/get-involved/volunteers/
Something missing from our list? If you’d like to volunteer with MLA David Eby’s Community Office to enhance this volunteer opportunities list, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org